Since February 2019, I have been actively promoting the impeachment of Donald Trump as our 45th president, as well as actively promoting the impeachment or removal of many of his appointees.
Over the last months, I have:
- worn a home-made badge saying “Impeach”
- written “Impeachment” on public chalkboards
- written a letter-to-the-editor to my local newspaper (Evanston Roundtable, published in May)
- participated in national grassroots coalition calls (By the People)
- participated in numerous Impeachment University webinars (March for Truth)
- written numerous blogs on impeachment
- contacted my Congresswoman Jan Schakowsky numerous times — phone, note delivered to her office, email, Twitter — to encourage her to keep supporting impeachment and to support a comprehensive list of Articles of Impeachment
- Tweeted & retweeted frequently the latest impeachment news, opportunities for involvement, etc.
UPDATE: January 17, 2020
Impeachment trial begins
A. House managers announced (Jan. 15, 2020)
House Intelligence Committee Chairman Adam Schiff (D-Calif.)
House Judiciary Committee Chairman Jerry Nadler (D-N.Y.)
Rep. Zoe Lofgren (D-Calif.)
Rep. Hakeem Jeffries (D-N.Y.)
Rep. Val Demings (D-Fla.)
Rep. Jason Crow (D-Colo.)
Rep. Sylvia Garcia (D-Texas)
Brief bios of managers: Politico
B. Impeachment trial begins (Jan. 16, 2020)
a. U.S. House of Representatives delivers Articles of Impeachment to U.S. Senate
C-Span link: first 15+ mins
—Supreme Court Chief Justice John Roberts is sworn in
—House managers deliver articles of impeachment to Senate
—Rep. Schiff reads the articles to the Senate
b. U.S. Senators are sworn in
C-Span link: starting at about 2:00 hours
—Chief Justice Roberts swears the Senators in
Oath: “I solemnly swear that in all things appertaining to the trial of the impeachment of President Donald J. Trump, now pending, I will do impartial justice according to the Constitution and Laws. So help me God.”
—Each Senator signs a book, in alphabetical order.
C. Next steps
—Trump has until Saturday evening (Jan. 18, 2020) to send a statement
—House has until Monday evening (Jan. 20, 2020) to send a rebuttal
—Trial proceedings resume Tuesday, Jan. 21, 2020 at 1:00 PM
UPDATE: December 20, 2019
Articles of Impeachment approved
On Wednesday evening, December 18, 2019, the House of Representatives voted to approve both Articles of Impeachment as proposed in House Resolution 755. Here are some details, as listed on the official bill page.
Reported to House (12/15/2019)
This resolution impeaches President Donald J. Trump for high crimes and misdemeanors.
The resolution sets forth two articles of impeachment of the President: (1) abuse of power by soliciting the interference of Ukraine in the 2020 U.S. presidential election, and (2) obstruction of Congress by directing defiance of certain subpoenas issued by the House of Representatives.
— On agreeing to Article I of the resolution Agreed to by the Yeas and Nays: 230 – 197, 1 Present
— On agreeing to Article II of the resolution Agreed to by recorded vote: 229 – 198, 1 Present
UPDATE: December 13, 2019
Articles of Impeachment drafted
A. Articles of Impeachment drafted, approved by committee
Two Articles have been drafted (Dec. 10, 2019) and approved by the House Judiciary Committee (Dec. 13, 2019). They will likely be voted on by the full House of Representatives next week.
House Resolution 755: official bill page
“Impeaching Donald J. Trump, President of the United States, for high crimes and misdemeanors”
Follow this page for latest on official votes, amendments, co-sponsors, etc.
B. Grassroots Events planned for the eve of the full House vote
More than 400 events are planned for the NIGHT BEFORE the full House vote.
There are events in all 50 states. Map of all U.S. events.
Numerous Chicago suburbs (Glenview, Arlington Heights, Naperville, etc.) as well as downtown Chicago.
Evanston’s event at Fountain Square hosted by Indivisible Evanston
Register to receive direct alerts for Evanston.
C. Trump and Impeachment
NEW easy-to-follow website on the basics by Center for American Progress and Stand Up America
The Facts, Key Players, Timeline, How it works
Here are the latest resources for following the impeachment process and for getting directly involved.
Public hearings began on November 13, 2019
They are being televised on many outlets. My preference is C-Span.
LIST OF IMPEACHABLE OFFENSES
1. Legal Grounds for an Impeachment Investigation of President Donald Trump
13 articles compiled by The Impeachment Project since January 21, 2017
2. Trump Articles of Impeachment
25 articles compiled by RootsAction
3. New COALITION STATEMENT and DRAFT ARTICLES OF IMPEACHMENT
Impeachment for the People:: A Draft Resolution of Articles of Impeachment
24 pages, published Nov. 2019
The articles are divided into six categories
• Abuse of power to target political adversaries, critics, and the press;
• Corruption of electoral processes;
• Abuse of office to promote discrimination, hostility, and unlawful violence;
• Corruption and self-enrichment;
• Obstruction of the administration of justice and Congressional inquiries;
• and Misuse of armed forces and abuse of emergency powers.
By the People, CREDO Action, Courage Campaign, Democracy For America, Equal Justice Society, Free Speech For People, Mainers for Accountable Leadership, March For Truth, Movement School, Presente, Progressive Democrats of America, Revolving Door Project, Women’s March
WEEKLY COALITION CALLS and regular email updates
Sign up with By the People to get email updates and join the coalition calls (usually Sunday evening).
IMPEACHMENT UNIVERSITY – Periodic webinars with activists, legal experts, legislators
View past segments and register for future ones.
EVENTS — Rapid Response, marches, demonstrations
If and when Articles of Impeachment are passed by the House of Representatives (and sent to the Senate), “Rapid Response” events will mobilize. Groups all over the country are already planning the events.
By the People Rapid Response Team
BLOGS on impeachment
- Who’s your Clan Mother? Saying STOP is Women’s Public Authority (including Impeachment) September 11, 2019
- Stopping Trump & Trumpism: IMPEACHMENT INFORMATION PLAN for Evanston, IL September 8, 2019
- Presidential Politics + Food & Farm Justice: Starting with Impeachment…. June 14, 2019
- Letter to Editor: To Move Forward, Impeach Trump May 30, 2019
- “Who’s your Clan Mother?” Impeachment as Women’s Public Authority March 25, 2019
- Time for Impeachment Hearings — ASAP February 24, 2019